[AT] Old trains/now NC State foolishness

Al Jones farmallsupera at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 9 08:26:29 PST 2009

When I came along in the '90s Chem 101 and 103 (the lab) were still very much weed-out courses.  I lucked up, my major only required Chem 100..."Chemistry for poets" the professor called it.  There was no lab and it was easier than high school chemistry. (We had a really good high school chem teacher when I came along.)  But, we still have to take our tests with the rest of the whole department outside of class---on a SATURDAY morning.

I always thought the folks in the chemistry dept. at NCSU was a little too big for their britches.

The worst class I ever had though was botany.  We had a grad. student that taught the lab that thought she knew everything and had to tell us about it.  The labs on either side of us would always get done 45 minutes to an hour before we did because she wouldn't shut up and just give us the assignment.  Dr. VanDyke taught the class and spent more time talking to us about his wood duck carvings than he did teaching botany, yet everybody thought he was wonderful but me.  Managed a "C" and was proud of it.

Al