[AT] Ang.: Probably not the best choice for me

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 05:27:01 PST 2009

In my case I just don't really need a tractor much for working any
more. :-) (shhhhh)
I do need more three point hitches. I want one more for using, like I
said maybe a 9N like my father bought new and started actively
farming with the year I was born and the first tractor I drove. It
kind of became my tractor as far as using until it was traded for a
new Jubilee when I was 12. As far as using goes I would really rather
have an 8N which is slightly easier to mount / dismount since they
don't have a brake pedal on the left side. We had two neighbors with
8N's and I often used both of those. I bought one of my own back about
1967 and used it happily for about 8 years and stupidly sold it. On
the up side I did sell it for more than twice what I paid for it. It
is a little hard to realize today that old tractor collectors were
fairly scarce before about 1970. There were a few collectors but
probably less than a tenth of the number today. Also even those
collectors all only wanted "special" stuff.
My vision is to have one such little tractor with my lift forks on it
all of the time. Another with my 5' finish mower mounted all grass
season. I want to add a three point hitch to my S-MTA like the Spee-Co
on my Super M. I also want to swap the wide front from my old 400-LP
onto the S-MTA and it will become the semi-permanent home for my 6'
bush-hog. It of course already has a independent PTO and very good
hydraulics.
I find my S-MTA very comfortable to operate and not a problem to mount
/ dismount. One thing that helps a lot is that I have the fenders
moved out on extensions about 8 inches on each side and up on spacers
about 5 inches higher than factory. Makes for lots of operator room.
I think I want to keep my little Case VAC "free" to use for light
drawbar errand jobs like using wagons, trailers, a pasture drag and
maybe a small manure spreader.
The Super M has been my loader tractor about "forever" and will likely
stay like that. I have a bale spike and a very heavy set of bale forks
for it that will handle 1200# bales easily.
I am going to mount the mid-mount sickle mower back on the Allis C and
probably leave it there. It will be used to clip pastures and mow a
few ditch banks where I need to reach out over the ditch. It is a good
bit tougher to mount / dismount than the TO-20, an N Ford or the
little VAC but it is something I can live with for now especially if I
am not using it for jobs where I have to get on and off a lot.
Of course most of those jobs can be done by several different tractors
and I really
-like the flexibility. I just don't like having to switch things back
and forth all of the time. That is the same reason that there are 10
Shopsmith's in my woodshop. :-)
None of the other tractors actually have "jobs" other than shows and I
don't really need them at all... Shhhhhhh!!!
-
Yes, a lot of people do think I am nuts... But retirement is supposed
to be fun dammit. ;-)

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson