[AJD] Too Many, what to keep, and why

E. M. THATCHER ethatche at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 8 13:12:26 PST 2009

It's been a long time since I commented on this site.  At one time I did so fairly regularly.  When I still lived in the country four years ago I had a 49 G and a 52 A, the latter built during the last week of the Model A production.  I used and enjoyed both tractors doing mostly light chores around my place, pulling parade floats and hauling the annual hay rides for my kids and their friends.  They were both in good condition but not show queens either although their paint and tin was good, they were still what I would call working tractors.  I enjoyed them immensely though and got a huge kick out of putting the two miles to town after a snow storm to blade driveways for friends and elderly folks just for the heck-of-it.  My ninety year old neighbor would come out of his warm house on a cold winter's day just get close to the old G and listen to it chug along as I bladed his long country driveway.  Those kind of memories are reason enough to preserve and maintain any of the old tractors as far I'm concerned.  It's still a great hobby worth investing one's time and effort in but not one I would necessarily engage in for the money.  I've acquired a bit more property since I first moved to the city and sometimes get the itch for another old Deere (figure my subdivision needs something to rattle their windows now and then).  I'm not without something to tinker with though, right now I'm beginning the restoration of a 1930 DeSoto coupe which I'm looking forward to getting back on the road.

Happy Holidays to All.

Eric Thatcher
St. Charles, MO