[AJD] Looking for a R-830 part

Bill Salisbury salisburyw at comcast.net
Mon Dec 7 11:58:32 PST 2009

Hi Brandon,

After hearing about your project and the snap ring dilemma, I have an idea.
This could work perhaps, if there is room in the snap ring groove.  How
about using two new snap rings in that groove?  If that won't work, then
consider using a steel spacer and a single new snap ring.

I am finished working on "Green" for a while.  I have a 1956 420 and just
finished with the axle seals replacement, new water pump, belts and hoses,
cleaned up radiator and new radiator rubber mounts.  All parts under that
front end sheet metal have been cleaned to bare metal including the front of
the engine, then primed and painted the correct colors.  Also repaired the
steering shaft by welding up the worn area where it rode in the one-time
bushing.  The bushing was totally gone and is now replaced with a new one.
The steering shaft had to be straightened after the welding and once I got
it straight, then turned down the welded portion of the shaft to the
original diameter.

Last Friday night had the 420 in a Christmas Tractor Parade in Keysville,
VA.  Lots of fun.  My tractor ran perfectly and all the lights work as
advertised.  This 420 is my only tractor.  I love it.  I learned from
another hobby that I have, that one tractor is enough for me.  Surely, I
would love to have an 820 diesel, but don't know what I would do with it.  I
use the 420 for grass mowing, but an 820 would be overkill for that on the
property I have that needs to be mowed.

Bill Salisbury