[AT] 2010 toyota camry

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Mon Dec 7 09:28:33 PST 2009

I heard that Ken.  I wasn't suggesting you tear into it.  Just musing about
what might be going on.  I have no real techincal or practical knowledge of
these systems other than chasing a couple of wierd problems over the last 20
years.  I had a driveability problem in my 89 GMC that I chased for a couple
of years before it became regular enough and severe enough to find.  It
started out being just an occasional hickup, pop, hesitation and only when
the cruise control was engaged.  Over time it got progressively worse until
it happend all the time, cruise control or not,  and eventually the truck
became almost undriveable.  When I finally found the problem it was (as
Farmer would have probably told me) a ground.   There is a ground wire from
the cruise control module that grounds to one of the studs on the thermostat
housing.  Because of the difficulty in tightening two nuts agains a couple
of two short ground wires on a stud the stud had gotten slightly loose in
the intake.  This allowed antifreeze to seep into the threads but not leak
to the outside.  That ground was supposed to read within a certain
resistance range and it was out of range.  When we finally found it, after
testing and replacing hundreds of dollars of parts over 2 years or more,
1/4 turn with a 9/16 wrench fixed it.  The silver lining of that deal was
that I got very familiar with throttle position sensors,  MAP sensors and
the like.

Charlie