[AJD] too many? what to keep and why?

greg at theoldtractorcompany.com greg at theoldtractorcompany.com
Mon Dec 7 09:00:48 PST 2009

Krieg
Well if you followed my tractor paring odyssey in Green Magazine, the answer to
what will happen to all the cylinder tractors is...
they go to Indiana!

Seriously, I kept my grandfather's 1936 A for obvious sentimental reasons, my
Waterloo Boy and a spoker D as I consider them somewhat of a milestone tractor,
and an Allis Chalmers airport tug and an Allis U all fuel on round spokes for fun.

It's far too easy to justify keeping nearly everything so, at least for me, you
have to be brutally honest as to what your ultimate goals are. Namely
simplification of your life and lowering your inventory.

I think a good starting place would be
1)Sentimental- be it a long time family tractor or used it in many parades with
the kids or daughter used it in her wedding or whatever
2)Significant historical value-again, a milestone tractor or maybe the 4th built
of a model or an ex-highway tractor, whatever
3)Realistic, emphasis on realistic, candidate for future restoration efforts,
recognizing that a goal is to slow down the time and life energy spent in this area.
4)Fun-just something you enjoy. Perhaps a vintage crawler that's a kick to drive
or a tractor that is a perennial crowd pleaser or maybe even a big two cylinder
diesel simply because you like the way it "hops" when it's running.
5)Investment-maybe the one really valuable tractor you managed to end up with in
your collection. Kept for investment purposes.

I think in this way you can shed the common A, B, 50 models etc and end up with a
core collection that you can concetrate your remaining efforts on.
I know for me part of this decision was definitely realizing that there was no
earthly way I would ever even make a dent in restoring 400+ tractors and
ultimately, I couldn't take them with me!

Good luck Kreig, I know the decision process you're facing

Greg

oh, one more thought. After making the tough calls and weeding out the keepers
and selling the rest, be sure to take the mindset that you absolutely will NOT
reenter the collecting phase of this hobby again. You will be beyond that and
hopefully immune to the "good deals" that are bound to pop up. For me, the only
way I will buy more tractors is if I can turn them for profit with no effort
expended or if a HiCrop shows up for little or no money.

NOW!! CHECK YOUR PART #'S AT WWW.JOETRAKTOR.COM!

WE ARE NO LONGER ON THE JOHN DEERE PARTS LOCATOR

Greg Stephen
The Old Tractor Company
Stephen Equipment Company
7460 E Hiway 86
PO Box 709
Franktown, CO 80116

1-231-846-8243  In the excitement of having this wonderful hobby, it was "easy"