[AT] 2010 toyota camry

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 06:20:54 PST 2009

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Herbert Metz <metz-h.b at mindspring.com>wrote:

> A widow friend recently bought a new 2010 Toyota Camry.    She likes the
> car except for an occasional popping noise that happens between 5 and 25
> mphr when she leaves here short driveway and goes on down the street.   The
> dealership is treating her like crud; they told her it was in the ABS and
> could not be fixed, and to turn the radio on so she could not hear it.
> Is this common?   etc?   etc?
> Herb

My wife has an 04 Camry she loves. Great car but the dealers can be anywhere
from great to crappy. She used to work for Toyota Financial and knew the
different local dealers because of the customer complaints. If possible find
a different dealer to have them look at it if it seems like something is
wrong. Probably nothing but if it is, have it looked at and noted as an
issue under warranty in case something croaks later. Does it have the
dreaded bad gas pedal they're recalling?

After driving my wife's car a few times on long trips (back and forth to
Montana in the wintertime) about the only complaint I have is with the
electronic controls; it has an early drive-by-wire throttle and computer
controlled shift points. The throttle is slow to respond (when I call the
engine room for flank speed, I usually wanted it yesterday...) and the
transmission tends to hunt around more than I'd like. It's her car and she
absolutely loves it (justifiably). I can say it's a great car in snow (love
those factory Michelin tires) and gets better than 30 MPG hauling a whole
family at 75 MPH+ and has plenty of power (V-6). Newer vehicles apparently
addressed the unstable throttle better. I still prefer the direct control of
the throttle plates myself though.

Ken in AZ