[AT] Trailer brakes

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun Dec 6 18:49:18 PST 2009

Mark the 700 R4 out of a late 80's to mid 90's (prior to 95) Camaro will
drop right in.  It's the same transmission.
I think the same would be true of Monte Carlo and Caprice but I'm not sure.
The one in my 89 GMC came out of a 92 or 3 Camaro.   I think I paid about
300 bucks for it at a salvage yard and it worked flawlessly for close to
100,000 miles until I stopped running the truck.

As an alternative do a google search for Pace Parts in Ohio.  I think it's
Paceparts.com.  They are a large GM dealer.  They buy engines and
transmissions by the tractor trailer load.   I bought my replacement engine
from them and showed the local Chevy dealer (a friend of mine) the invoice.
He couldn't believe it.  He told me he couldn't buy that engine that cheap.
They do the same on transmissions, or at least they did the last time I
checked.
If it's closer to you shipping wise there is a place in Texas that has
similar pricing.  The name is escaping me right now.  I think it
Scoggins-Dickey Chevrolet or something like that.   The Chevy-GMC trucks
went to electronically controlled transmissions in 95 so any 700 R4 from
about 84 to 94 should work.  I forgot to say, on the Camaro 700 R4's you
will need to use the tail shaft from the transmission you have now but that
no problem to swap.  All you'll need is a seal kit and you need that
anyway.

Hope that helps.

Charlie