[AT] BOOO! anyone awake in there?

Roebersauctions at aol.com Roebersauctions at aol.com
Sun Dec 6 14:26:09 PST 2009

I've been watching this thread for a while and really enjoy  the comments,
being raiseed on a farm 65+ years ago. Talking about "Spud  Wrenches" I
thought this might ad a smile to some people. Ernie from Mn

Tool  Definitions

DRILL  PRESS:
A tall upright machine  useful for suddenly snatching flat metal  bar stock
out of your hands so that it  smacks you in the chest  and flings your beer
across the room, denting the freshly-painted  project which you had
carefully set in the corner where nothing  could get to it.

WIRE  WHEEL:
Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them  somewhere under the workbench
with the speed of light. Also removes  fingerprints and hard-earned calluses
from fingers in about the time  it takes you to say, "Oh, shit!"

SKILL SAW:
A  portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

PLIERS:
Used to  round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of
blood-blisters.

BELT  SANDER:
An electric sanding tool commonly used to  convert minor touch-up jobs into
major refinishing  jobs.

HACKSAW:
One of a  family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle ... It
 transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and  the
more you attempt to influence its course, the  more dismal  your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS:
Generally  used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing
 else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding  heat
to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE  TORCH:
Used almost entirely for lighting various  flammable objects in your shop
on fire. Also handy for igniting the  grease inside the wheel hub out of
which you want to remove a  bearing race.

TABLE  SAW:
A large stationary power tool commonly used  to launch wood projectiles for
testing wall  integrity.

HYDRAULIC  FLOOR JACK:
Used for lowering an automobile to the  ground after you have installed
your new brake shoes, trapping the  jack handle firmly under the bumper.

BAND SAW:
A large  stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good
aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the  trash can
after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the  outside edge.

TWO-TON  ENGINE HOIST:
A tool for testing the maximum  tensile strength of everything you forgot
to  disconnect.

PHILLIPS  SCREWDRIVER:
Normally used to stab the vacuum  seals under lids or for opening old-style
paper-and-tin oil cans and  splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be
used, as the name  implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT  SCREWDRIVER:
A tool for opening paint cans.  Sometimes used to convert common slotted
screws into non-removable  screws and butchering your palms.

PRY BAR:
A tool used  to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you
needed to  remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER:
A tool  used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER:
Originally  employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind  of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent to the
object we are trying to hit usually smashing the thumb that is  holding the
object that you are trying to pound into whatever it is  that you are working
on effectively eliminating the need for  manicure care on that thumbnail for
weeks.   See: Son of a b*tch  TOOL

UTILITY KNIFE:
Used  to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons
delivered to your  front door; works particularly well on  contents such as seats,
vinyl records,  liquids in plastic  bottles, collector magazines, refund
checks, and rubber or  plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work
clothes, but  only while in use.

Son  of a b*tch TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and  throw across the garage while yelling,
"Son of a b*tch" at the top  of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next
tool that you will  need.

=

In a message dated 12/6/2009 3:10:22 P.M. Central Standard Time,
robinson46176 at gmail.com writes:

On Sun,  Dec 6, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Mark Greer <markagreer at embarqmail.com>
wrote:
> My Grandpa was an ironworker and he always called that a "spud"  wrench. I
> don't think it had anything to do with potatoes.
>  Mark

I once  "wrenched" my back with a big sack of potatoes...  ;-)

--
Have  you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson
aka  "farmer"