[Steam-engine] (no subject)

Francis Orr steam.boat at verizon.net
Sat Dec 5 22:27:04 PST 2009

If any of you steam lovers are into steam railroads and stationary steam
engines, Paul Stephens, of  The International Stationary Steam Engine
Society,  has posted notice of what could be the last chance to see real
steam in operation. You will spend the last two weeks in July in Java
visiting sugar mills and other places that still have working steam. I know
that this is right in the midst of our show times but think, these shows
will be continuing but working steam is fast disappearing. Check out the
link.

In 1959 I had a chance to ride the last of the overnight steamboats on both
the Chesapeake Bay and the Great Lakes. I said I will do it later and these
boats were ALL (with the exception of the Delta Queen) ruled off the water.
In the mid 1960s I put off going to England to see the last of the BIG mill
engines. All gone now. I put off riding the Delta Queen and she is now a
hotel. I didn't go South to see that last bastion of  steam railroading, the
Norfolk & Western. Etc. Etc.  Do you have any regrets?

Francis A. Orr

http://www.isses.org/Java%202010%2020090824.pdf