[AT] Baling - Still

Don Bowen don.bowen at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 3 08:15:53 PST 2009

All this talk about baling reminds me of my farm based youth.  As a
teenager (later fifties, early sixties) I bucked many bales at a nickel
a bale.  Up on a farm wagon behind a variety of tractors, Farmall SMTA,
Farmall H, Ferguson 30, and others.

About the only baler I remember is an AC round baler.  My father would
bale the last cutting with the round bales and leave them in the field
where the cattle could get to them.  He claimed the round bales shed
water and did not rot as quickly.  We rarely picked up round bales but I
remember one that had a hollow center where some bees had taken up
residence.  I picked bales up by setting the hook to lift one end, put a
fist in the center, set the hook at the other end then lift the bale on
the wagon.  Soft centers were always a problem but those bees
significantly changed the sequence.

A neighbor built a single axle trailer from a truck bed and some bomber
tires.  The low deck would allow two more layers of bales.  I have put
many bales on that trailer and also stacked many bales from that
trailer.  The low deck made it easy to load but made stacking harder,
especially the last load of the day.  No front end loaders then.

My mother says that I was put on the tractor at age seven pulling the
bale wagon.  My father would jump on at the end of the row to turn
around until I got the hang of it.  That may have been the John Deere A
we started farming with.

I bucked bales with a couple of friends.  We spent many nights asleep on
the stack after working from can to can't.  We were  young then, more
than once coming in from a night of running around just in time to
change clothes to go back at it.  I was working with a neighbors nephew
from the big city of Des Moines one time.  We were in a far field and
had to drive past the home of a girl in my grade.  She chose that day to
wash the car in her bathing suit.  I suppose it had nothing to do with
two young boys driving back and forth on the road.  He was watching her
and dropped a wheel off the edge and dumped about half the load.  I can
guarantee that loading them the second time was a lot less fun than the
first time and the girl finished washing the car and left.

--
Don Bowen           KI6DIU