[AT] Baling - Still

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Dec 2 07:57:12 PST 2009

Its surprising just how cheap some of the early New Holland round balers are
now. If you can find one that isn't worn out they will do a decent job of
rolling hay into big rolls that are easily handled with a front end loader
spike. I find my arthritic knee is a lot better since I switched from small
square bales to round.
This NH 847 round baler makes a smaller bale than some of the bigger models
but if you have a small acreage and only a few animals to feed it is a good
economical alternative. I got mine for $1200 at a farm auction. I hear it
can be quite expensive to replace the chains when they need it but I try to
oil them frequently in hopes of extending their life. Plus its a good method
of using up used motor oil on the farm.
The only complaint I have so far is that occasionally the cross bars on the
chain will bend and I don't know why. I have straightened them, one broke
and I re-inforced it internally and welded it back together. I think the
bigger balers had heavier cross bars  than this 847.
The finished product can be seen here. Took this pic yesterday after our
first snowfall.
http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=77210

Ralph in Sask.