[AT] Restorations pick

Herbert Metz metz-h.b at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 27 04:55:05 PDT 2009

Maybe my purchases were better than I initially thought; a couple G's have
motors in very good condition and I spent $900 on another.    A couple
others will be bartered or eventually sold.   The only one I really got
taken on was by a guy in VA.  Live & Learn.
Also, our standards may be different.  I see little reason to completely
rebuild an engine that checks good on compression, no smoke, starts good,
sounds good, etc.   Do you plan using your G?    Why spend a couple grand
restoring a decent motor if the unit is destined for trailer queen?     How
much time do any of us "seasoned enthusiasts" spend looking at others
trailer queens?    My G's get infrequent use; my G with endloader has
approx 300 hours in fifteen years (distributing many semi loads of wood
chips at church parking lot).   The others all together total <100 hours.
I'll spend my money buying batteries (grumble, grumble).
Also, if the motor is a pile of junk; let someone else "have the
opportunity to restore it"; unless the price is really right  . There are
still a lot of G's out there; and quite a few are looking for a new home.
Happy Hunting.
Herb.

Chalmers
> "G".
> Less than 30,000 mfged from 1949 to 1955.
> The only rear engined tractor at that time.
> Easy to handle, weighs approx 1500#.
> Easy to haul, can be hauled in a Dodge Dakota with extended cab and 6 1/2'
> bed.
> Their equipment was specially designed for mounting and use only on the
G.