[Ford-ferguson] Hydraulic hoses

Jim Peck @Yahoo jamesgpeck at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 12 16:57:09 PDT 2009

Tape goes on threads that seal by interference, NPT threads. Fittings that seal
by flares, O-rings, compression rings, etc. will not be improved with Teflon
tape or paste.

[Carl Baker]Loc-tite makes a sealant that incorporates Teflon that I've used
before. It goes on as a thick white liquid and cures like caulk.  I think the
problem with tape is that it can come off in chunks an get gummed up in various
parts of the hydraulic system.  Not likely a problem on these older
simple unfiltered systems with generous tolerances, but using sealant instead of
tape is probably a good precaution....

[Dave Merchant]~Question: do you use any kind of thread compound on the ends? I
thought I'd heard that teftape can cause problems with hydraulics.