[AT] Case VAH won't run; carb issues /followup post

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Mon Aug 31 04:29:14 PDT 2009

I agree with Cecil on this but with one word of caution.
If you use an inline filter make sure it is one designed for a gravity flow
fuel system or is sized large enough to let a sufficient flow through it.
Some inline filters are designed to be used with a fuel pump and won't flow
well enough in a gravity flow system.

To follow up on the trash issue.  Years ago I carefully and dissassembled
and cleaned the carb on one of my Allis tractors.  I was sure it was
spotless inside.  I put it back together and it would spit and sputter
unless the choke was pulled.  My neighbor at the time is an ace mechanic.
He heard it run and told me it had trash in the carb.  I told him what I'd
done to it.  He shook his head and said, there's still some trash or water
in there somewhere.  I took it back apart, flushed it again with carb
cleaner, blew it out with air and never found a thing in it.  I put it back
together and it ran like a top.  It doesn't take much of anything down in
that jet to cause problems.

Charlie