[AT] Case VAH won't run; carb issues /followup post

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sun Aug 30 20:20:55 PDT 2009

> From: dean at vinsonfarm.net
> To: at at lists.antique-tractor.com
> Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 23:24:58 -0400
> Subject: [AT] Case VAH won't run; carb issues
>
> I was up at my dad's farm last weekend and continued tinkering with the
> old VAH.

Okay, it's been two months since I was last up at the farm, but this past
weekend I finally got the old Case running again.  As some of you had
suggested it would be, working on the carburetor was pretty straightforward.
I took it off, carefully took it apart to the extent that I could with
simple tools, wire-brushed some greenish scaly gunk out of the fuel bowl,
and gave everything a general cleaning and inspection.  Blew compressed air
through all the open passages, put all the original parts back together, put
it back on the tractor, and it fired up at the first touch of the starter
button.  Still needs some tinkering to get the adjustment right since it
needs full choke to run smoothly, more than seems right, but I didn't have
more time to work on it.  Dad is happy to be able to move the tractor around
now, and I'm happy it's not so much an obstacle for him anymore.

Next trip I'll need to bring up a new sediment bowl... the one that's on
there is fine but the valve leaks when closed.  And I should change the oil.
And work on that broken stop on the left front end that lets the wheel turn
too much perpendicular to the direction of travel.  And find a parts tractor
with a good PTO shaft.  And put in a new clutch...

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net