[Farmall] gasket material

Ed Greany crest25 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 30 20:15:05 PDT 2009

How about copper?

Ed

--- On Sun, 8/30/09, Anthony Flint <tony at flintservices.com> wrote:

From: Anthony Flint <tony at flintservices.com>
Subject: [Farmall] gasket material
To: farmall at lists.antique-tractor.com
Date: Sunday, August 30, 2009, 7:37 PM

Greetings!

Slightly off-topic...

I have a 2hp upright International Famous engine that has been recently
re-restored.  In the process, the original 1907 head gasket was accidentally
tossed out.  I made a replacement using the "thick paper" type material, but
it didn't work. (water in oil).

The original appeared to be a thick white fiber, so I'm guessing asbestos
based?  Any thoughts on a solid material (not something out of a tube)...
I've seen "compressed ceramic fiber" and "graphite impregnated steel"
materials online, but never having used this type of stuff, I'd like any
hints/ideas etc. y'all might have.

Thanks!
Tony