[AT] John Deer B

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Aug 27 04:35:59 PDT 2009

I will weigh with on two of my favorite chore tractors: my Ford 860 and
IH 340. Both of them have independent hydraulics and independent PTOs,
plenty of power, the ability to handle Cat I implements, a wide range of
gears, and are easy to drive. The 340, being newer, has remote
hydraulics and more speed choices, but they are both strong machines
with plenty of parts available. My 340 is a Farmall row crop, but the
utility model would be equally as nice (and a little easier to get on
and off of as once gets a little older!).

On the other hand, if your interest is in doing a restoration project
and then taking it to shows and parades, a Johnny Popper of almost any
letter series is as good a choice as any. One advantage of the JDs, IHs,
and Fords is that used and new parts are plentiful. For whatever reason,
JD's seem to demand higher prices. One advantage of a Ford or IH is that
the engine layouts are pretty much "conventional" (i.e. straight line 4
cylinder, just like an older car or truck).
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/other_machinery/ford.html> and
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/farmall_340/340wfrontpiece.html>

One thing to keep in mind is the difficulty or ease of finding parts.
While all of the various makes have their supporters and are nice
machines, the rarer the model, the harder it will be to find the parts
you need. That can make the process very frustrating to a first time
restorer or for someone who just wants a machine to handle chores. That
is the only reason I advise sticking to a model that was 1. made in
large numbers and 2. was relatively popular in your area. For example, I
have a very nice Case 430, that works great, but I dread the day I need
to find any mechanical parts for it.

There are several excellent books available (including those by the
famed Spencer Yost) that can help the novice with the entire restoration
process. And I always recommend reading "Old Tractors and the Men Who
Love Them" and "Busted Knuckles and Rusty Tractors" by Roger Welsch to
anyone who is thinking about getting started in farm tractor
restoration. :-)

Mike