[Farmall] 140 Steering Problem

Paul Sigmund pwsigmund at verizon.net
Wed Aug 19 05:58:00 PDT 2009

I had a similar problem with my 240.  Looking at the blowup for the 140,
there are some similarities that may make my experience relevant to
yours.  I could turn the steering wheel almost 360 degrees before I
experienced any resistance in the front end.  Considering the gear
sector is only a small portion of a full circle, you can see there is a
large "gear ratio" between the steering wheel, and the worm gear.   I
pulled my gears and found them to be in "like new" condition.  However,
the Woodruff key that holds the Pitman arm stationary with the vertical
gear arm had worn the keyway sufficiently that the gear could "wobble"
several degrees back and forth on the shaft.  Those several degrees
translate to a tremendous amount of sloppiness at the steering wheel.
Therefore if there is any appreciable side to side motion of the key in
the keyway, it could be the problem.  The usual fix is to have a new
keyway cut 180 degrees from the original.  In my case, that had already
been done, so I was lucky enough to find a machinist who considered it a
challenge to machine a tapered collar to replace the original.  If
memory serves me, a recycled replacement gear/shaft was over $250.  I
looked at a used one, and it's keyway was in as bad condition as mine.