[AT] [Farmall] @$#@$#% Cub - red engine oil

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Aug 15 03:37:11 PDT 2009

This is a very common problem with older Cubs. The O ring on the pump
drive shaft gets dried out and permits hydraulic fluid to be pumped past
it into the engine. The seal is a standard SAE O ring, nothing special,
as are the two O rings on the back of the pump where the manifold pipe
is bolted up. (Case IH sells a pump "overhaul" kit that consists of the
O rings and some gaskets, plus a page of instructions.) After you remove
the old ring, look at the pump shaft carefully, If there is no damage to
the pump shaft, you can just replace the O ring and put everything back
together. If the ring has hardened and cut into the shaft, you have a
problem that is is pretty much impossible to repair if it is too deep. I
had one that I was able to just polish the shaft a little and use a
slightly thicker O ring, but on another one the groove was really deep
and could only be fixed by replacing the pump.

See
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/1952-farmall-cub/leakinghydraulicpump.html>
for a view of the shaft. In the image, I have a screw as a "pointer"
indicating the area of concern. Usually a light application of steel
wool or even very fine emery cloth is sufficient to restore the surface
to usability.

I hope this helps,

Mike