[AT] @$#@$#% Cub - red engine oil

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Fri Aug 14 20:37:58 PDT 2009

charliehill wrote:
> I've probably got 50 gallons around here if you include used motor oil and
> contaminated hydraulic oil.  I wish I knew a cheap way to filter it so I
> could blend it with diesel or kerosene and burn it in my furnace.  I tried
> it once and didn't have good enough filters.  Cost me a new pump on my
> furnace and two years of furnace problems because of carbon granules in the
> fuel line.  I finally switched the supply and return lines and solved that
> problem.

Well I can tell you a cheap way to filter it, but it's SLOW.

First get one of the cheap poly barrels (steel could be used but the
plastic ones are easier to find).

Now set up your used oil so the bottom of the container is at or above
the level of the clean drum.

Now for the expensive filter part. Go find some COTTON rope. Now for the
hard part. Measure out a chunk of rope that will reach to the bottom of
the used oil with a bit extra for inside and enough to reach over to the
open top of the new drum and into it by a few inches.

Now that you have the rope measured you just set it up like you would a
siphon hose. One end of the rope goes into the old oil, other end into
the new drum. It's not a bad idea to run it through a chunk of pipe
between the two containers.

Now to start the filter process you use a wire or whatever to dip the
entire rope into the used oil. Now lay it in place so it looks like
siphon. Now let capillary action take over. It will filter the oil for
you but it takes a while. If the oil is real cruddy you could dump some
diesel or trans fluid in it to thin it some. Setting the used container
so it can get heated by the sun also helps.

Another way is to grab a couple pairs of old blue jeans. Lop off the
legs and sew the end shut TIGHT. Use this like a funnel and it will take
out the larger crap. Then you can run that pre-cleaned oil through a
diesel filter to final filter it.

--
Steve W.