[AT] Hydraulic fittings

K7jdj at aol.com K7jdj at aol.com
Fri Aug 14 13:19:39 PDT 2009

In a message dated 8/14/2009 11:06:46 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
moscowengnr at yahoo.com writes:

The first thing that is needed is knowledge of which type of fitting or
thread that you have. For pipe threads there are 2 common type in the US - NPT
 and NPTF (for Fuel). They may go together, but they are different. For
either  type I would recommend either a paste or a Teflon tape. There is also
straight  pipe threads which may also screw together, but does not seal
without some other  sealing mechanism such as a combination of a sealer and a jam
nut.

Very good summary.  Like so many mechanical devices a little common  sense
goes a long way.

I have noticed Teflon tape in filters.

A  couple of months ago I spent a several days working on a new to me "skid
steer"  that lost drive on one side.  This machine is driven by two pumps
and  motors.  The pumps each have their own suction filters and pick ups.
The problem turned out to be a plastic cap (the type that comes on new hose
fittings etc) that had been sucked up and completely blocked the pick up for
the  pump that powered the motor on the left side.

I felt a little dumb when I  located the problem but glad I didn't need to
speed a couple of thousand on new  pump and/or motor.

Gary

Renton, WA