[AT] Briggs 18hp starter gear removal? (Off Topic?)

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Thu Aug 13 08:53:04 PDT 2009

I hadn't attempted to replace the gear whilst the starter was on the engine, it was all a bench job for me.  I agree, bolt placement is tight and the way the thing sits into my Snapper I have to unbolt the engine and jack it up to get the starter out.  But I do this without removing the shroud.  Pulling off the shroud would require total engine removal in my application.  Not that big a job, I guess.

I hadn't thought about alignment, thanks, Steve.  Maybe the first time I took it off I lost some shims.  The original gear ran for years, then as soon as I started replacing them they didn't last very well.  Maybe next time I'll pull the engine and then the shroud so I can see how those gears are lining up.  Or, more likely, I'll be in a hurry and just put the spare starter into the damn thing again.

B²

Bill Brueck
   Chatfield, Minnesota, USA

Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.