[AT] Briggs 18hp starter gear removal? (Off Topic?)

Will Powell william.neff.powell at comcast.net
Wed Aug 12 07:03:25 PDT 2009

Hello,

I have a 18hp vanguard v-twin briggs engine with electric start. The plastic starter gear has wiped all of the gears off. Ring gear on flywheel ok. I have purchased a new gear at TSC.

Problem is I can't seem to remove the C-ring clip. The clip is recessed into an aluminum cap that I can't depress low enough to get at the clip.

Instructions show a clip removal tool, but there is now way that would even work if I can't depress the cap.

Any tricks to getting the cap depressed? If I can expose the clip I'm going to pry it off with a small screwdriver.

Regards,

Will Powell (PA)