[AT] Boarding tractors was Re: Portland Camping

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 05:38:58 PDT 2009

By the time I was old enough to drive the 9N my father had bought new
in 1942 he had bought a simple pair of stamped steel running
boards/steps for it  I was probably 5 when he bought them so he used
it about 5 years with nothing but the foot pegs.
-
My Allis C was not just awful with the mid mounted sickle mower on it
but when I took it off it was quite awkward to side mount. I finally
built a step for it. Like many tractors entry from any direction
requires a "settle-in" action to get in the driving position not
entirely unlike race cars. That "settle-in" only comes after several
foot movements on "slippery when wet" spots on the tractor like curved
axle surfaces etc. That Allis C though is quite comfortable to drive
once you are in the "position".
-
My Farmall CUB has a nice flat platform but stepping up on it from the
ground is about like standing on the floor and stepping up on your
desk. I finally built a nice step mostly copied from George Willer's,
but bigger. I only made it bigger because I just happened to have a
scrap of step plate that size.
-
My MM-R only has foot pegs and was kind of awkward but I added a step
to it and it isn't too bad. It is not however a very comfortable
tractor for sitting on for long hours. The steering wheel is not quite
in the center and the foot pegs are not positioned evenly.
-
The MF-165-D "high arch" would not be bad in a standard clearance but
the extra height made it kind of a chore so we put an extra step on it
many years ago. Still, with two shift levers and the remote hydraulic
controls it is a bit of a maze for getting your right foot across.
-
I love my little Ferguson TO-20 but the Ford 8N I used to own (and
stupidly sold) was a little easier to climb on and off since there was
only the clutch pedal on the left side. The Jubilee was of course the
same as the 8N in that respect. That Jubilee we bought new and was the
first tractor on the farm with live hydraulic and live PTO (optional
hydraulic hand clutch).
-
My little Yanmar 1500 Diesel is so hard to get on and off and on that
even son Scott complains about it. I am convinced that the designers
wore size 6 shoes... :-)
There is simply not good room for my size 12's. If I try to lift my
right foot to the brakes my heel catches on the differential lock
pedal and my toe is still hooked under the brake pedals.
-
I love giving the John Deere guys flack but I must confess that my
1948 Deere A is pretty easy to get on and off and I like the open flat
platform. A third arm or a foot clutch would be nice. The 4020 is also
pretty operator friendly.
-
The Super M is not too bad but the addition of the 3 point hitch does
add to the work of getting on. It and the SMTA and 400 are all require
a little more effort to get your right passed through since they have
the battery box as a seat base and it sits almost between your legs.
Back when I was farming with them I seriously considered move the
batteries to a side rail mount box and changing the seats to something
with more open under your feet.
-
I always got the feeling on many of the very old tractors that the
operator was their last consideration... Build a tractor then fit him
in.   :-)

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson