[AT] OT : problems with rv , now thanks

Ivan Cousins ivancou at windstream.net
Mon Aug 3 18:37:51 PDT 2009

Ok , problem solved . I'm gonna call it dead .
I was on the roof measuring the unit and looking for the model number and
data tag to see what the thing should draw as Carl and John suggested . Also
the info off the capacitor ,I figured I'd at least try that . Neighbor came
over again , so I got him to stick around for a little bit .  One thing I
didnt do yesterday was check the amp draw on the house circuit .  So I got
the clamp on meter and got up on the roof while he turned it on . Hump only
17 amps , why wont the gen start it . Hey lets ty it again one more time to
make sure the readings agree .  I saw a flash of 40 + and it shut off .
Down off roof ,reset breaker ,ok again .    17 , ????? , again 49.1 when the
breaker tripped .   Ok I 'm not sure what is going on but this thing is
toast in my book .   Wife came home so I explained to her how much a new one
would cost , well we dont need ac that bad after all .   Dang and I spent
how much for the  new generator .
  I was beginning to have my doubts about the generator like Charlie
suggested , but then again it did start it once ,Although I did jog the
switch .
   Well if I come across a really cheap used one maybe .
 Still that naging thought of I wonder whats really wrong . Obviously the
compressor as thats where I had the meter attached , or is that where the
bad capacitor would figure in .  Dang  now I gotta go look for a 40 mfd .. I
t will bug the heck out of me if i dont .
 Don , that is a neat setup with the twin hondas . The honda wouldve been my
choice but the cost is a problem .    The onan s are out as my rv doesnt
really have space  but if I could come across one cheap enough it would be a
good one to have around the house .   Thanks guys , Ivan