[AT] ReRe: Portland Tractor Question

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 06:35:29 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 11:47 PM, <Edchainsaw at aol.com> wrote:

> We've  hauled a few tractors over and have not had    directions on  where
> to park....  I  wander if  (big  question)    the ATIS tractors  could
> MISTERIOUSLY   migrate into  one  line   in  that  east lot  around one of
> those popup tent deals   like  I see  a lot of   in that lot....     hey
> those tractors do have a mind of their own dont  they????    ;)

Has there been any more thoughts or discussions about this?
How about a time and location for meeting for a picture taking session
including those that are not staying in the campground? We have not
done that in several years.
How about a location for "any" members that makes it to the show to go
to so they can see if other ATIS members might be hanging out there?
It is a long walk back to the campground for an ATIS visitor with very
little time to see the show, to walk back to the campsite only to find
out that we are all up on the grounds snarfing ice cream.  :-)
These things have just fallen apart over the last couple of years...
I am assuming / hoping here that they are continuing to cooperate with
Gene on us camping together...
I don't think we would be out of line to be politely assertive in some
of these matters. There seems to be an attitude in recent years that
they feel like they had been doing us big favors by letting us show
together or camp together. That is nonsense. We are not freeloading,
we are part of the show and were a lot more so when we had a decent
location to show together (and I'm not talking about that one year
that they buried us over behind that one shed at the far end).
For some reason I keep getting the feeling that they resent us camping
together and are about to push us over the creek bank. There has been
a lot of talk about how we had to prove that we deserved to do so by
all manner of volunteer activities. The more I think about that
attitude the more pissed I get. Any direction down any drive from
where we camp you can find any number of big huge rigs that rolled in
there (with a couple of cars) and staked off about 5 acres for
themselves. Their only contribution being the camping fee they pay
(not a penny more than I pay for the little tiny gypsy wagon or
someone pays for a tent space) and what money they spend on the
grounds.
There seems to be multiple standards... To my knowledge nothing extra
is ever asked of those space hogs but somehow we are supposed to bow
and scrape and serve for the privilege of squeezing about 5 campers
into the same space some of those space hogs. All I have heard the
last couple of years is how much more "we" need to do for them. We do
as much as anybody by coming to the show, Showing our tractors (even
scattered all over hells half acre) and talking their show up to
people all over the globe for months at a time. What other non
connected group beside Spencer's ATIS promotes this show like we do?
We are not asking for a lot of special treatment, just let us do what
we have done in the past. Just quit acting like it is a huge favor to
let us camp together packed in like sardines... And let us park our
tractors together. Neither our tractors or campers use any more space
than anybody else's...
Earlier George and more recently Gene have worked very hard to get
everybody packed in the campsite and to not waste space.
When we showed our tractors together we tended to spend a good bit of
time hanging out with them and talking with other show guest (who
could not find anyone to talk to in those long rows of parked
tractors).
I won't get started here on how much better the engine guys do at
showing than tractor guys (and I am not an engine guy).

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"