[AT] Trailer hitch ball mount

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 10:50:14 PDT 2009

I always look at hitches and trailers etc. always on the lookout for
an idea to steal.  :-)

Any-who today we stopped at Mickey-D's for a Mcsalmonella or something
and I spotted a heavy pickup truck (3/4 or 1 ton) with a large
receiver on the back and sticking out of the receiver was a ball mount
that looked about 2 sizes too small. It also looked bent from carrying
too much tongue weight for it and it had bent right at the back edge
of the large receiver. It also occurred to me that all that was
supporting side movement was the lock pin. Now with an adapter sleeve
it would be better but the way it was now any severe side thrust would
have the possibility of shearing the lock pin due to the fairly large
side gap and the ability of the ball mount to try to pivot in the
receiver.
Pulling an empty little trailer would be OK but since the under-size
ball mount was bent it must have hauled a heavy load or two.
Scared me and I'm not afraid of anything.  ;-)
-
On a side note I intend to slowly convert most of my tractor hitches
to rigid receivers. I think they will be quite handy and will
eliminate a lot of slop in some of them especially rather than using
three point hitch drawbars.
Son Scott sold his Oliver 1755 sold and I am selling my Deere 4020
soon so they won't be on any higher HP tractors nor for extended field
work.

--
"farmer"

"Good clean muck never hurt nobody!!!"
Morris Moulterd

Join "Shopsmith owners" group at:
SS_owners-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
For anyone with an interest in Shopsmith
woodworking machines. See the group home page at: