[AT] Way OT

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Wed Apr 8 06:29:03 PDT 2009

First contact your local water treatment place.  Most will be happy to send a salesman to do a free analysys.   If they won't then you know who not to buy from.   Get their advice on what to install.  If they are honest they will not over sell (deciding if they are honest is an exercise you have to do on your own).  Pay attention to the details, salt delivery is often pennies a month more than you can buy salt and so may be worth it.

The solutions to your problems depend on exact details.  Most areas have some problem that is unique, so what works for my water in MN may not help you, and then you wasted money on stuff you don't need.

Odds are a water softener will be your first step.  Walmart sells cheap (junk) ones you can install yourself.  My local fleet farm sells high quality softeners for not much more (but they are next to junk that looks the same to the untrained eye). You can also find sites online that will sell you something they say is good.

All water softeners use salt.  Those on low sodium diets may want a different salt (not as good overall, but it is just a matter of buying the salt and changing settings on the softener).   Softeners will take care of some iron, depending on what you have it may or may not be enough.  (This is why you need the local expert - he will know what works in your area)

If the softener doesn't work iron filters will, but they are expensive.   (I got mine for free from an uncle in the business who gets working systems that are replaced)  iron filters don't use salt (anymore, really old ones work different from modern ones but I'm not sure how), but they have two tanks, one with air to burn the iron, and then a filter to get rid of it.  (That is a bad explnation but I don't know how to do better)

Magnets as used in a house are worthless (they do work in some industrial applications, but the system is complex).   Filters can help - but not for the problems you described!

Dick Day <ddss at telebeep.com> wrote:

>Tractor reference:  Thank you for all of the replies and feedback concerning the trailer ball mount.  The local dealer took the Draw-Tite back and has ordered a Hidden Hitch (made in Canada).  Also, I just sold a WD, so now I have room for that Huber waiting for me down in MO :)
>
>Now my problem:
>
>We live on 20 acres just outside of town and have a well.  We will not drink the water, nor will we use it for cooking, we use bottled water instead.
>
>The water here has a very high iron and Manganese content as well as being very hard.  It also has that rotten egg smell.
>
>In just the few years we have been here, the water has turned our white sinks and tubs almost brown and we've replaced numerous faucets due to corrosion.  Now I find out that the LP water heater needs to be replaced.
>
>We need some type of whole house water treatment system. I imagine many on this list also live out in the country and may also have water problems.
>
>Has anyone installed a water treatment system?  I've searched the net and there are a gazillion brands/models out there.  Some use magnets, others use filters and salt.  Some sound too good to be true.  I would love to hear from someone who has been through this to hear how they solved their problems.
>
>Again, sorry for the off topic thread, but the knowledge and experience of the atis members never ceases to amaze me.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Dick
>

>DDSS, Inc.
>Software For County Government
>83712 552nd Avenue
>Norfolk, NE  68701
>
>402-379-1606
>http://dickdaysoftware.com/default.aspx

Sent from my Android phone with K-9. Please excuse my brevity.
--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9. Please excuse my brevity.