[AT] Trailer hitch ball mount

Dick Day ddss at telebeep.com
Sun Apr 5 07:04:05 PDT 2009

Good morning Mike,

The reason for the over-sized ball mount was at the suggestion of a friend
who, knows infinitely more about this than I do.  The trailer is rated at
12,000 gvw capacity.  His suggestion was to make sure that the ball mount
was of the same capacity even though I would not be pulling that much
weight.  His reasoning was that if a failure did occur, no one could say
that it occurred due to incorrectly sized components.

The trailer weighs 2,000lbs and the tractor I am going to get is supposed to
weigh in at just under 6,000.

I was told it's better to over-size than to under-size.   His theory was
that the higher class mounts should be better quality.

What are your thoughts on made in China mounts?

Also, someone suggested having a 2" tube welded below the factory tube, that
would lower the opening 2".  That would work except that would prevent the
factory shroud from going back on that covers the receiver.

Thanks,

Dick