[AT] OT--taped audio to CD audio??

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sat Apr 4 10:38:04 PDT 2009

John Wilkens wrote:
> Thanks again Larry, Howard, Bob and others for the addn'l info on
> copying to CD.  I've been too busy to try it yet but I hope to get
> into it this weekend.   John W.

One thing you will discover is that most of your tapes will be recorded
at different levels. This isn't a big problem normally. When it becomes
a problem is when you have ripped those tapes onto your computer and
then want to create CDs with mixes on them. Then you get one high song a
low one and a middle one and you chase the volume level all the time.

I have done literally thousands of tape conversions and have gotten very
used to the software I use. For free software that does about the same
thing Audacity is the one I would use.

To connect the units together you can use a simple patch cord from the
tape out connections to the line input on your sound card.

Go into the mixer control and make sure that the line in is actually
turned on. Silence is NOT golden in this case.

Now if your using Audacity you just open the program, select line in on
top. Now for the tricky part If you simply select the record button it
will start NOW and give you a bunch of silence you will end up editing
out. Instead hit the pause button then record. Now hit play on the tape
deck and start recording. Record the first side, hit pause and then
record the other side. Now if you wish to add the names to each song you
just go under project add label track, then select the start of each
song and type in the song names.

--
Steve Williams