[Farmall] Clutch throwout bearing

John Bailey jbailey at communicomm.com
Wed Apr 29 13:09:59 PDT 2009

I recently replaced the throwout bearing on my Farmall Cub with one of the newer roller bearing types. After only five months and probably less than 2 hours of  actual use, the bearing has completely disintegrated. The manufacturer has agreed to send me another one under warranty. But, my concern now is that possibly the bearing was not at fault but something more sinister with the pressure plate or clutch disk. I was assured that hundreds of the newer type bearings have been placed into service with no problems.

So, my question is this. Does someone on the list have the technical specifications for the clutch disk and pressure plate, like how thick should the clutch disk be, what should the spring tension be on the actuator levers on the pressure plate and how far should they extend outward from the pressure plate, or any other information that would assure me that my clutch is ok. I don't want to split my tractor but one more time.

Thanks for any help.

John Bailey