[AJD] JD B Width Question?

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Sun Apr 26 18:03:07 PDT 2009

I'll take a stab at this.  Others will help out if my answer is a bit too
simplistic.

According to the B service manual SM2004 overall width of the B sn 201000
and up (1947 partial thru 52) is 86 11/16.

That said, 15 years ago I went through this process to determine if a 1948 G
would fit into an enclosed truck I had available.   Yep, should fit with a
couple of inches to spare.  Nope, got there and the axles would just fit
inside the truck but not through the door.  Got it loaded anyway by backing
it in at an angle and scooting it sideways with a jack on the drawbar.  I do
recall that the rear end on that G was replaced with a salvage unit many
years ago when the original housing broke.  I suppose we ended up with
slightly longer axles in the process.

I had another G of the same vintage and the width on that one matched the
book.

Um, leave yourself some room to spare.  Nothing ruins your day like hooking
an axle on the door or fence and tearing things up.  I know a lot about
that.

B²

Bill Brueck
   Chatfield, Minnesota, USA

Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.