[AT] Trailer hitch ball mount

David Rotigel rotigel at me.com
Mon Apr 6 12:48:40 PDT 2009

For Dick (and, perhaps, others as well.)
	I stopped by my local trailer manufacturer today to attempt to clear
up some thinking on my part re: trailer hitches. Here is what I learned.
1.) Draw Tite and Hidden Hitch are owned by the same company.
2.) Hidden Hitch receivers (at least the ones that the fellow had in
stock) have a sticker on them saying that they are made in Canada.
3.) Both Hidden Hitch and Draw Tite make an eight inch drop solid
shank ball mount (class IV) (what we have been referring to as a
"receiver.)
	Draw Tite part # is 4283--list price is $56.95
	Hidden Hitch part # is 80125--list price is $54.72
4.) 	Class III is good for 10,000 lbs. GVW
	Class IV is good for 12,000 lbs. GVW
	Class V is good for 14,000 lbs. GVW
5.) 	Older Class V outfits used 2" X 2" square "receivers"
	Newer Class V hitches use 2.5" X 2.5" square "receivers"
	Class V ball mounts (ie "receivers") come in BOTH 2 and 2.5 inch.
Hope that this does not muddy up the water too much!
	Dave
PS, The guy I talked to said that he didn't "have the slightest damn
idea why no one makes a 8" forged (steel) ball mount!"
PPS, The ONLY ball mounts that the guy knows of that are made in the
USA are made by Wallace Forge in Ohio. (Might be others, but that's
the only one he was sure of.)