[AT] Trailer hitch ball mount

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sun Apr 5 18:17:26 PDT 2009

I don't have any real advice, just a couple of observations.

Draw-Tite is a well known trailer hitch part supplier and therefore probably
has healthy liability insurance on their products--even what they have made
in China. Now I don't like the fact it is made there no more than you, but
that is a different discussion.
 As for modifying by drilling it out--if you didn't take much out of the
hole it will probably not have much of an effect on its rating. However, it
has been modified so now Drawtite is off the hook in my opinion when it
comes to liability.

Concerning having a local shop weld something up, it would probably work
just fine, but as you say it is not a tested product. I don't care if the
guy welding it has been doing it for 40 years and is the most respected
welder for 14 counties, it won't have engineering paperwork to back it up.
So when it comes to liability, he'll say he welded what you asked him to, he
never told you it would work, after all he's a welder, not an engineer.

I guess the bottom line here is that we may have too many lawyers in this
country to protect us from ourselves.

 As for product testing, there is such a thing as doing stress analysis on
materials and assembled parts. It is a very slow and expensive process. It
is very expensive software that is quite limited in what it can do. But it
does work. And then comes the real fun, phsically testing to see when the
unit actually fails. And if you are lucky, you'll break the test equipment!

John Hall