[AT] Now grease in unit

Larry Goss rlgoss at insightbb.com
Sun Apr 5 11:13:21 PDT 2009

Yes, Bentonite is the right stuff.  That is one of the special oils we kept around for particular applications in the L&G shop.  The other one is Snapper "00" grease as is used in the final drives of Snapper Comet's.  Cub Cadet (MTD) had a problem with hydro transaxles burning out the bearing on the input shaft.  The "official" solution was to completely fill the gear case with "00" grease and pay no attention to the recommended oil fill level.  That solved the bearing burnout problem.  At a tractor show a couple of years ago (North Carolina) one of the vendors had bottles of "00" grease available at a cut-rate price.  He didn't have to carry any of it back home.

Larry