[AT] Trailer hitch ball mount

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat Apr 4 18:50:32 PDT 2009

Dick, I bought some bolts to mount a pintel hitch on my truck a few years
back.  They were marked grade 8 but were made in China.  The hitch said use
grade 8 and torque them to 140 ft lbs.   At just about 100 ft lbs the
threads striped off of the bolts and the nut just spun in the spot where the
threads had been.  I had to saw them out with a hack saw.  Then I went to a
heavy duty truck shop and bought some REAL grade 8 bolts.

You are wise to worry about it!

Charlie