[AT] Hydraulics on 9n won't work.

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Apr 1 04:31:09 PDT 2009

Here is one of those situations when the reply got to me before the
original.

Anyway, the most common reason for that particular problem is that the
fingers have slipped off the spool valve at the bottom of the pump
assembly. This is usually caused by the spool becoming rusty due to the
fact that it sits at the very bottom of the housing and gets all the
water accumulating there. (If the rubber shift lever boot is damaged or
missing, that is how a lot of water gets into the Ford 8N transmission.)

The only "fix" I know of is to park the tractor on a hill facing down
(to keep all the fluid from running out), remove the PTO shaft, side
access plate, etc. and pull the pump assembly out. It is not all that
difficult a job as it might sound. Then the spool has to be removed and
polished (or replaced, if necessary, depending on its condition), and
then the whole mess put back together and the "fingers" re-attached to
the spool. If there is a lot of water in the fluid, then it might be
time to either drain off the water or change the fluid. I recommend
obtaining a service manual for the tractor - it makes the whole job a
LOT simpler.

Replacement spools can be obtained from N-Complete, Dennis Carpenter,
your local New Holland dealer, as well as the usual retailers. But,
given the hassle of doing the job, I recommend getting that kind of part
from the first three.

Mike