[AT] Check the grounds, check the grounds, check the grounds.

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 20:59:13 PDT 2008

I had a sudden problem with the lights on my tractor hauling trailer
last week. Everything had been working perfectly then all of a sudden
almost nothing was working right. I was ignoring my own advice and was
checking coupler connections and grabbed a multi-testor checking
current. Finally I picked up a piece of wire and held it against a
shiny bolt on the trailer coupler and a shiny bolt on the truck...
Yep, everything started working right. I started checking and the
ground from the truck had suddenly failed. I was in a hurry so rather
than chase it down I ran a short jumper from the trailer to the truck
and left... The truck and trailer wiring both are getting pretty old
(me too), I need to rewire both of them. (I don't think I can be
rewired).
My Allis C is cranking slow with a fully charged battery so I checked
the ground at the starter (big set screw) first since that has long
been a trouble point but it was OK. Next I used the spray all
connections with WD-40 trick and started cranking it. Sure enough the
good looking connection at the steering post started smoking... It was
smoking between the connector and the cable, not the bolt connection
to the post, I'm going to pick up one of those web ground straps like
the original the next time I'm in town.
I noticed last week that both battery terminals on my Yanmar 1500 need
replacing. They both look like they are 200 years old and one is
broken. I have been using those solid brass replacement terminals from
Wally World and have been happy with them. They are only about $2.

"farmer"

"Good clean muck never hurt nobody!!!"
Morris Moulterd

Hay and Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)