[AT] Mower deck

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 06:12:50 PDT 2008

I had an uncle by marriage that years ago got me started cleaning out
the deck with a stiff brush and hose and then when dry, brushing it
with used motor oil. Usually by early in the season the deck was
polished enough that it stayed clear. A big part of it was being sure
it was oiled down for the winter. That was back when I had a lot more
energy and ambition and I needed the mower to last a very long time.
Now I just clean it out with a putty knife when I sharpen the blades
or if it clogs up when wet. Come winter I just park it. We mow about 8
acres with two 22 HP mowers and I replaced the last one after 3 years.
I plan to replace one next spring at 1 1/2 years and the other the
following year at 2 years old. By keeping them well maintained, waxed
and replaced I can sell them well enough that the cost is quite
reasonable to always be using a reliable late model mower instead of
always patching something old up like I used to always be doing.
Actually I like to buy a new one on sale in the fall and hold the old
one to sell in the spring when people realize that the grass is going
to grow again...   :-)
I pretty much stole the one I will sell next spring since the Wal-mart
staff couldn't get it to run and neither could the so called repair
shop that they sent it out to. All I did was fill the fuel tank clear
full and start using it. It had quit when the fuel level got below the
gravity feed point (on the first tank of gas) and neither the customer
that returned it, the store staff nor the so called repair shop
realized that the fuel pump was not pumping. By the time I ran a half
tank through it it had cleared its throat and was pumping fine. I
fully expect to sell it for about $300 or $400 more than I paid for
it. That probably won't happen very often.    :-)
On the one I sold after 3 years I had replaced the belts and when I
sold it I put on a new set of blades and replaced the little worn
wobbly deck wheels. A fresh coat of wax made it look quite nice.

"farmer"

"Good clean muck never hurt nobody!!!"
Morris Moulterd

Hay and Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)