[AT] Mower deck

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Fri Sep 19 12:20:07 PDT 2008

Ed Christopherson wrote:
> Has anyone ever try have the deck Power Coated?? Just a thought I just had
> some tractor wheels done and was very impressed.  Ed

Yep, Factory Cub Cadet deck paint is powder coat. Many of the MTD rigs
are powder coat. BUT all powder is not equal. If it is properly applied
it is very rugged. The catch is that many production lines don't blast
the metal they just coat over the freshly stamped steel. That would
sound like a good thing, however the smooth steel actually has no tooth
for the paint to bond into. That is why you find large sheets flaking
off due to the poor bond.

Now if you have access to powder coat you could have the entire deck
blasted and coated with a heavier coat underneath and it would hold up a
long time.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York