[AT] Mower deck

Mike msm10301 at juno.com
Fri Sep 19 06:53:39 PDT 2008

I think the brand of mower makes a difference. I had a Cub Cadet garden tractor that clogged terribly. If I didn't pry the chunks out from the deck it wouldn't mow worth a darn. My neighbor had a John Deere mower, and never had to clean the deck, it must have just been designed better. I coated the bottom of the deck to try and alleviate the problem, and it did help some. What I did was to have the underside of the deck sandblasted and primed. Then I had Rhino Liner sprayed on professionally for about $50. I'm not sure whether you could buy the stuff in a can back then.
Mike M

-- Carl Tatlock <carllary at gmavt.net> wrote:
More on the mower deck experience.  My JD 285, 1990 model, still has
grass from that year somewhere in that deck.  Al Jones and I are maybe
both weird in never cleaning thoroughly and mowing when it is wet if we
have to.  (Had to do a lot of that this year.)

    Once a year or so, I will pry out some of the biggest chunks with my
de-chunking tool (1/2 of a curtain rod), but never try to clean it down
to metal.  I figure the old grass is protecting the base.  No rust so
far, and I would never consider washing underside with hose-- really
damages bearings, my neighbor ( a lawnmower repairman) says.    My
finish mower (5') Howse, is 12 years old and gets the same treatment.  I
mow about 4A of grass/orchard grass/weeds we call a lawn about every 3-4
days until August when it goes a week (but not this year!) here in
Vermont.   I only mow during May,June,July,August ,Sept, and October, so
maybe that makes a difference.  The other six months the grass is pretty
frozen....Carl in Vermont