[AT] mower deck coating

Larry Goss rlgoss at insightbb.com
Fri Sep 19 07:54:36 PDT 2008

Certain models of Skags are notorious for light frames.  I drove one at our church for about ten years.  It got to the point that I was having to weld the frame back together almost every week before mowing.  At one point, I hit a low curb with the edge of the deck and when it flexed two mounting lugs broke off the engine.  The engine oil drained all over the ground in a matter of seconds.  Supposedly, the Tiger model did not have that problem.  It wasn't that it was "rode hard".  It's just that the acreage was so rough that the frame couldn't take it.

BTW, this thread has contained some interesting comments.  In this age of concern about economy and gas prices, it might worthwhile to change some of our mowing habits.  Don't use a mower that is powered with turf tires.  You will save !/4 of your gasoline by switching to low lug high-flotation tires on the drive wheels.  You will also save significantly by never mowing when the grass is wet, and by sharpening the blades after every 10 to 12 hours of use.  If the tires show moisture off the grass when they roll over it, it's too wet to mow.

Washing a mower deck is a function of the brand of mower.  John Deere's are particularly bad about rust in the bearings if you wash the deck. Others are not.  It mostly depends on whether the spindle bearings have grease fittings -- and whether or not you use them.

If you want a mower deck that is self-cleaning, get one that is specifially designed for mulching.  Don't buy one that claims to be  "convertible".

Larry