[AT] coating for lawnmower deck

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Thu Sep 18 16:37:57 PDT 2008

Charles wrote:
>> Hey guys
>
> Sometime back there was a discussion about what to coat the underside of
> finish mowers and lawnmowers with to help about grass sticking to it.(also
> to help prevent rust).  At the time I read the discussion, but now I think I
> need to coat mine and don't remember what the recommendation  was.
>
> Can someone post what it was for me, or tell me a good coating to use?
>
> Thanks
>
> Charles
>
>>From the western NC foothills

First clean ALL the grass and rust from the steel. If the deck has rust
on the outside you may as well repaint the entire thing. Sandblasting
works the best for surface prep. Then use a epoxy type high zinc primer
(can be purchased in spray cans as well as bulk)to paint it. Now topcoat
with whatever color you like on the outside. For the underside you want
to let the primer cure. Then scuff the primer with a scotchbrite or
similar and give it a coat of P/U bedliner spray. (if you have a local
shop do it the price isn't bad) however you can buy the same stuff in
many parts stores(even Wal-Mart has it). Read an follow the directions
for application. A few light coats are better than one heavy coat for
curing. Once applied it lasts a LONG time. I just had to touch up one of
my decks and it has been over 4 years that I did that one. The area I
mow literally sandblasts a set of blades into junk in less than half a
season so it is REALLY rough on the deck parts.

I tried slip plate paint. It didn't hold up a week. It does work well on
my snow blower though.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York