[AT] Cub Cadet values

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 9 09:21:21 PDT 2008

On Sep 9, 2008, at 12:55 AM, Steve W. wrote:

> Roy Morgan wrote:
>> On Sep 8, 2008, at 7:58 AM, charlie hill wrote:
>>
>>> Steve do the models and  parts interchange?
>> .  Here are two
>> examples for my  15-year old Cub Cadet made by MTD:...
> True BUT MTD only makes the small lawn and garden Cub Cadets.

Steve,

Thanks for the additional information.  I'm new to tractors in general
and Cub Cadets in particular, having just bought the Cub Cadet that
had lived at our new house.  The thing is a Model 2084, has plastic
hood parts, and apparently was made by MTD.  The folks at the local
Cub dealer decry some of the things MTD did in design and execution,
and have been good enough to warn me about the weak points of the one
I have (especially the engine to drive unit shaft).

> The tractors in question are the compact diesels (25-40 HP) Those
> are the
> Mahindra types.

I gathered that they are diesels.  The owner of the Cub place sells
Simplicity machines, too, and feels that for real work, you don't get
a Cadet, you get a Simplicity.

> Oh and FYI, if you have the earlier IH made Cub cadets you can get
> parts
> for them at the Case IH dealer if they are any good. That covers all
> the
> tractors made up to the plastic hooded "Cyclops" series.

My Cadet is the later type.  Maybe better it was older!  Perhaps
eventually, I'll evolve out of the plastic-hooded cadet and get a real
IH Cub.  It seems that they were true tractors, even though small.

In the meantime, I'll run the Cub Cadet around the lawn, and carefully
to cut grown up pasture weeds, and learn more about the IHC McCormick
W-4 we also have.

Thanks for the info and advice.  (I wonder how far it is from Ithaca
to Cooperstown.)
Roy

Roy Morgan
13033 Downey Mill Rd