[Farmall] Hydraulic Pump

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Wed Sep 3 07:08:24 PDT 2008

There may be a nut bouncing around, or there may not be a nut bouncing
around. This could be a case where the PO was working on the unit, dropped
the lock washer, couldn't find it, and put in a new one. But to be on the
safe side, I agree that you should check out the unit and verify that
there is a lock washer where there should be. If the PO dropped the lock
washer, couldn't find it, and just decided to put the nut in "a little
tighter" you could wind up with a lot bigger problem later. Hopefully all
you have to do is remove a pan or cover to get a good look at the
assembly.

In my line of work we never reuse a lock washer since there's no way to
determine how many times it been used and how much tension is left in it.
(The longer it is compressed, and what torque was applied, determines how
much tension it still can provide after being installed the first time.)
It may look like it's good, but it it's lost any of its tension
capability, it could provide insufficient tension and allow a nut to back
off. We always put new lock washers in when we reassemble anything. I've
seen people take a totally flattened lock washer, spread the ends apart
and put it back in. Not a good thing since there probably is no tension
left in the lock washer and all they've done is put in a split flat
washer. A lock washer is supposed to provide tension between the nut and
the mounting surface, pushing on both and digging in a little, so that the
nut won't turn by itself due to vibration.

Carl Szabelski

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.