[AT] battery disconnect source needed

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Mon Oct 27 06:19:03 PDT 2008

John Hall wrote:
>  Sounds like a good lead. I also found some at JC Whitney that look
> decent--they also carry a couple styles that appear to more Chinese junk.
> I want one for my Mustang as it sometimes sits for 6 months in the garage
> without being started. Makes me worry if a mouse were to decide it were a
> nice home and then decide to chew on some wiring! Same concerns with the
> combine and grain truck.
>
> John Hall

John,
  If you don't want to run more cables you can get a disconnect that
goes in line with the factory battery terminal connection. It has a
large thumbscrew that holds it together when your using the vehicle.
They are available for both top and side terminal batteries.

If you want a fancy version you can use a heavy duty continuous current
solenoid and a remote switch to activate it. That is how I have my
vehicle set up. It allows you to run a separate lead to keep the clock
and radio memory.

Your local NAPA carries the parts to do either way. They also carry the
manual switch type that use a lever to shut off the battery.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York