[AT] Chainsaw - 2 years without shrpening?

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun Oct 19 10:31:26 PDT 2008

In the late 70's I worked for a logging company.  They used Stihl saws
exclusively which is saying something because the guy that owned the company
was a McCulloch dealer.  He bought his Stihl's for the job from his
competetor.

Back then everything on the logging job except stumping was done with chain
saws. (now days there might not be more than one or two chain saws on a
logging job).  The guy that "sawed up" on the deck was in charge of all the
saws.  His duties on the log deck included deciding how long to cut the logs
to maximize the value of them plus keeping up the saws.  He had multiple
saws, usually at least 3 on the deck.  Normally it would be 2 straight bar
saws and a bow saw.  One of the straight bar saws had the chain set to cut
hardwood, the other was set for pine and believe me there is a difference.
The cost of chain was not an issue compared to the overall cost of logging.
David constantly sharpened his chains.  Everytime he got caught up and had
to wait for the skidders to bring  more logs he was sharpening saws.  We
used to keep bush axes in the log trucks so we could cut vines and small
limbs that might get accidentally put in the load.  He could sharpen a chain
saw so that it would shave you and he taught me how to do it.  Although the
last time I tried I had lost the trick.  I don't know if it was me or if
bush axes aren't made like they used to be or both.

Charlie