[AT] Higher gas prices or rationing

David Bruce davidbruce at yadtel.net
Thu Oct 2 10:00:36 PDT 2008

Charlie,

Actually I agree with you.  During the panic buying raising the price
was the only way to stop the panic - it was pervasive all that Friday.
I stopped to fill my pickup (I use about half a tank a month in it and
it was time for a fill) and the pumps at that station were busy but not
swamped.  I went into the grocery store for about 30 minutes.  When I
exited the cars were lined up in the roadway waiting for gas.

On the Monday following that Friday I stopped by an independent station
who has no gas and I chatted with the owner a bit - no contract, the
current wholesale price was $4.75 to him - so he opted to leave his
pumps dry.

We are slowly returning to a normal supply situation but we will be just
a hurricane away from the same situation once again.

As much as I hated the price increases that was a better option than not
being able to buy any at any price.

I stopped by a station to fill my car yesterday - 3.799 which is down
from 3.999 last week.  I still saw many people filling as many
containers as they could.  I also saw some stations with bagged nozzles.

David
NW NC