[AT] seal installation

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sun Oct 26 05:05:16 PDT 2008

 Lately, we have been spending more time than we prefer getting the combine
ready. While giving it a "once over" I found the bearings bad on the final
tailings auger. The bearings are in a housing on the end of the shaft with
the pulley on it. The auger goes about 2 feet inside the combine with no
bearing on that end. When we pulled the housing apart we noticed the lip
side of the seals was facing out. Since we couldn't ever recall seeing this
before we assumed the seals had been replaced before and installed wrong so
we put the new ones in with the lip facing in. Now I am wondering which is
the correct way. Any thoughts? By the way, no detailed info in the parts or
service manual either.

John Hall